Sunday, July 13, 2008

Assignment: Widgets and Gadgets

I have been using widgets and gadgets for a long time without knowing that is what they are called. I have been using a integrated desktop (Iwon.com) for several years and have enjoyed the available gadgets offered there. I have used the calculator, various stock trackers and portfolio managers, geology and weather monitors. I monitor several writers and columnists and a number of news agencies. My favorite Alaska gadget is the sunrise and daylight monitor. Starting in January I keep track of how much more daylight we are getting each day! Of course, after the solstice, I turn that off because I don't want to know how much daylight we are losing each day.
.
For this class, I set up an I-Google personal page. I have to admit that it is much better than my Iwon page. Because it is manged by Google, it integrates all their web aps and is extremely reliable. I set up a number of gadgets and widgets on my personal page.
..

My favorite widget/gadget is the
free text messaging service.
http://www.txt2day.com/
Our children use text messaging more than email. They have different phone services. In order to text them, we had to go to the phone company site (Sprint, TMobile, etc) and use the text service provided. These services are free to the sender, but are tedious to use because you have to actually go to their website. This gadget is great. It was easy to install and easy to use. You just type the phone number you want to text and check the phone service. If you don't know the phone service your friend is using, the gadget will tell you. Type the text and send. Done. If you include your email address (optional), your friend can post a response to your email acct automatically.
This is definitely a keeper.
..
Earthquake Map
http://www.myeqwatch.com/
This is a simple map which records earthquakes worldwide. They are recorded by location and magnitude. By clicking on the flags, you can obtain more geologic information about each individual incident. This is more for entertainment than news. It is easy to install and easy to use. I will keep it on my homepage for personal interest.
..
Google Financial Manager
http://www.google.com/ig/directory?hl=en&root=/ig&dpos=top&cat=featured&sort=popular&url=www.google.com/ig/modules/finance_portfolios.xml
This is really a collection of gadgets which are all related to finance. This link enables you to develop your own personal financial management page with news items, tickers, and personal portfolio management programs. You are able to track the items in your 401K, IRA, or retirement program on a daily basis. You have to spend time entering your personal data, but once it is current, you can obtain daily information about how your investments are responding to the day's news. Developing this page takes a bit of work, but it is worth it. I have used a service similar to this on IWon. But the Google site offers more information and is easier to use.

..

Scientific Calculator
http://www.google.com/ig/directory?q=scientific+calculator&hl=en&type=gadgets&url=gotoscience.com/gadgets/Calculator.xml
There are many different calculators available on the Google Gadgets page. I chose a simple scientific calculator. It is nice to be able to use a calculator from the desktop. I minimize it because I don't use it all the time. I like to bring it up when I need it. There are also several very good countdown timers and other devices that make life easier.
..
RSS gadgets.
I have several RSS widgets/gadgets related to my BlogReader. I installed a set-up button on my personal toolbar so that I can add a site to my Blog list if I come across something of interest. I also have a Clippings and Feed organizer. I will demonstrate these at the next class on the 24th.

1 comment:

Connie* said...

Hello Teresa,

You have shared some useful widgets and gadgets and I agree, I never knew I was using them. The one that is of personal interest is the free text messaging service. That is one I could use for both personal and professional communication.