Sunday, July 13, 2008

Web Applications: Adobe Air Application

I had never heard of Adobe Air until this class. I enjoyed surveying the various applications available. I was impressed by the number of programs and the quality of the programs.
I chose several programs to sample.
..

Ebay Desktop
http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/exchange/index.cfm?event=extensionDetail&loc=en_us&extid=1513019

I admit it - yes - I do business on Ebay occasionally. I have always found the Ebay log-in process tedious. You have to wade through so many screens to reach the sections you want. They do have a MyEbay Section that you can customize yourself. But you have to log in and go through several layers before you can locate your Watch List or your Favorite Searches. This Adobe Air program allows you to put all your favorites on one single page. You can maintain the main Ebay search engine link and also add the features from My Ebay that you like. It is easy to install and use. You do have to invest some time at the beginning putting in the features you like from your personal Ebay page. Once this is done you have a wonderful end product. When you bring up your Adobe Air Ebay page - it is uniquely yours. I am only a purchaser. I don't sell on Ebay. If I were a seller, I would find this application extremely useful. I hate to think about what you have to go through to get an auction mounted on the site. This application enables you to put the sections that you use for your sales in one place. The link above is to the main Ebay set up. Once you install this program, it is on your desktop and cannot be shared without your passcode.



..

I also found two other Adobe Air programs that were especially useful.
kuler.air
This program used the Kuler Color Analysis to show possible color combinations for artists. This is useful for artists and craftspeople. I am a quilter and have used the Kuler program in textbook form. This was a very useful application. Easy to install and use.


..
The program I demonstrated during the last class was the back-up program.
BackIt
http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/exchange/index.cfm?event=extensionDetail&extid=1574518
This program uses your desktop. You install it on your desktop. You can select programs, links, folders to backup. It backs up your data to a disk, your hard drive, a CD, or a thumb drive (USB). What is unique about this application is that you can save it and name it. The next time you want to back up this items, you can do it with one click. Very helpful for teachers who move around a lot and use many different computers. Because it is web-based, it is always available.

I will continue to use Adobe Air and these applications.

1 comment:

Marin Todorov said...

Teresa, I accidentally ran into this post and I just wanted to say thanks for the nice review of Backit - you really made my day.

Marin